čtvrtek 12. dubna 2012

Task 8

I found a review which was written by Frank Rich for New York Times, it is quite old review, but I think that it is the best one.
August Willson’s book The Piano Lesson is said to be a historical piece. I understand this opinion, as Mr. Rich says in the review, „The central fact of black American life - the long shadow of slavery -transposes the voices of Mr. Wilson's characters” 
This critical piece somehow shows my attitude towards this play in some cases but in others I just do not know. I do not want to talk oppositely than before so it is true that I can not agree with all of the things written in this review, because it talks about the play as a amazing drama from he beginning, but for me it was different, I started to like at the end of the story.
I liked how nicely this review shows what the piano means for the main characters by this sentence „For Berniece, the instrument must remain a somber shrine to a tragic past. For Boy Willie, the piano is a stake to the freedom his father wanted him to have. To Mr. Wilson, both characters are right - and wrong.” That is exactly what I think about the main story line, also the part about how the writer meant it is the same for me, because I find both of them good and bad in one moment.
Basically the whole review is about the plot and thoughts of the author when writing this book. It also shows its admittance to the author’s ability to make the story interesting and not just boringly repeating. I must say that this was different for me, because I did not find it interesting at all.
I understand that this review is positive about the drama, but I have a different opinion. I do not want to say that the play is horrible (ending was really absorbing even for me) but I did not eat all of it in one day because it is not my cup of tea.
For more info see the review: The Piano Lesson: Original NY Times Review

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat